WHICH PAINTINGS TO PHOTOGRAPH ?
• It's better when it's an anonymous one. We think Kings, queens, Mary and Jesus and famous paintings are less interesting.
• Any century is welcome. We've mostly done pieces from Ancient Time and the 15th, 17th, 19th centuries.
• Only paintings from museums int the city where you want to put them up. There is lot of treasure close than you, find it !
• Take around 20 pictures to make a choice of 5 or 6 minimum to paste.
HOW TO TAKE THE PHOTOGRAPH ?
• Your phone is perfect.
• Be careful with reflections in the paintings. You can adjust your position even if the perspective is distorted, you can correct this using Photoshop.
• No photography allowed in a museum ? If you do it fast and discrete you will be able to take photos before they ask you to stop. You can try your "mistake" again in another room ; generally they don't follow you and they don't share the information about you.
HOW TO PREPARE IT FOR PRINTING ?
• Import to Photoshop.
• Use magnetic lasso to crop the background and frame and cut out the character.
• Change the size for a 90 or 110 cm. maximum width
HOW TO PRINT IT ?
• Send your characters to the Outings team. We will print it for you in the right paper and proper ink.
• It costs 8€ per character + 20€ shipping.
• You can find a printer in your town (It will cost between 10 and 30€ each) but we cannot guarantee the ink resistance to the glue. Just ask for slim paper, not too thick, matte paper, not brillant.
• If you are in developing countries or countries where these amount represent lot of money, will offer you the print. Ask us.
HOW TO STICK IT ?
• Simply, use wall paper glue and brush. If it's powder, make a thick glue, not a runny one.
• If your character have feet paste at the bottom of the wall.
• Do not stick on institutions, public buildings, monuments, schools, hospitals, or in public transportation installations.
• If the wall has been recently repainted, try to respect the energy that people put into that, respect their freedom to have nothing on it.
HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH YOUR WORK TO PARTICIPATE ?
• Photography is an important part of the project. The piece of art is in the street and in the documentation afterwards.
• Always take 3 types of pictures face to the collage : a large plan (from 5 or 10 meters), a middle (less than 5m) a close-up, mainly front with not an angle, to see the character properly.
• Never "Portrait" mode, only "Landscape" (horizontal), because that don't tell the same story : Outings is about sticking for passerby, not about building decoration.
• Later, try to have other pictures with passersby in your frame. It's the heart of the project : anonymous people from paintings meeting anonymous people from the street.
IS IT LEGAL ?
• To be prosecuted, the wall must have suffered "significant damage". Has it ? Not really. If you follow our rules by using abandoned or not maintened walls. The transparent glue remains on the surface and comes off without causing "significant damage".
• Is there copyright on paintings ? Not if it's older than 70 years.
PROCESS & TECHNICALS SPECIFICATIONS
become the next...
Participation is free for private individuals. If you are museums, museum volunteers, social workers, educators, please contact us directly.
How to participate ?
1 Read process and technicals specifications (below).
2 Contact us to be part of the collective project.
3 Take pictures with your phone in the museum.
4 Print it or send us to print.
5 Crop the prints.
6 Stick them in the streets.
7 Take pictures of the results.
8 Send them to us for publication here.